Wednesday, February 10, 2010

It's official

Tara is having a BOY! I tried to take pictures of the ultrasound, but the battery (which said was charged!) died right when I went to do it. We can already tell it's going to have Travis' slightly-on-the-non-small-side nose. At least it's a boy with it and not a girl.

Ok, so this is where I need your help...when writing something like "Travis'," what is the correct way:
A. Travis'
B. Travis's
C. Travises

I think it's "A," but there is disagreement among the adults in my household and we couldn't really figure it out from the internet. What do you think??

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I would have said B, but I'm not an english major, so I don't know!

Cindy said...

I do option A with our last name but I gave up getting it right long ago. Maybe the former English teacher can help. Cathy?

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the boy baby - it was getting a little one-sided with the last additions being girls.
Okay, so I had to look it up:

When a singular noun ends in [s], the rule for showing possession remains the same as for nouns not ending in [s]—Simply add [‘s], as in:

- Les’s car
- the Williams’s property
- Isaacs’s folly

How you say it is up to you - when in doubt just say "the nose of Travis". That's how they do it in Spanish.