Wednesday, July 01, 2009

My Latest Obsession

I don't know that it's really an obsession, but it's on the verge of becoming one. I'm not naturally an obsessive person, though, so it probably won't get that far. Now, Angela, my new best friend because she's now my Laurel Advisor, is obsessed. She is the Coupon Queen - the finder of all good deals and things free. I'm liking this new association. She has re-introduced me to pinchingyourpennies.com. I had checked it out years ago, but I've always been of the mind that I can't afford to buy things in bulk when there's a good deal because I never have money set aside for that. You know, kind of living paycheck-to-paycheck, money in savings, but not for that. Anyway, we've recently decided to put money aside for food storage. We have our year's supply in, but need to keep the three-month rotated supply stocked. So, ramble ramble...

Basically, that's my thing lately...saving on groceries and finding more and more freebies and things for Kales and I to do. It's not that I'm so cheap that I don't want to pay to go do fun things, but I really don't like spending money on something that she ends up caring nothing about.

Today's venture was free lunch at North Davis Jr. High. They provide it Mon-Fri through July. Kids eat free and adults pay $2.70. I could also bring my lunch to avoid paying, but eeewwwww. It was probably the most nutritious lunch K's had in like her whole life, so I think we'll do it again. There are several schools in our area and also throughout the valley that offer free lunches. We're going to check out some of the others around to see if the menus are different.

After lunch, we went to the Museum of Fine Arts. It's free on the first Wednesday of the month. Normally, it's $7/adult. Now, I'm definitely not a museum person any more than I'm a no-bangs person. They never measure up to my expectations which really aren't very high. But for FREE, why not? Get the kid a little exposure to "the arts" (pronounced with an air of haughtiness). As I expected, I was bored to death, but Kayleigh ran around and had a good time. And, it was air conditioned! And, they validated! So, her whole afternoon was free. Nice! I did splurge for that "pop-Tummy Yummy-Bug Juice caffeine-free." Oh, in green - today's favorite color.

We've got all kinds of things lined up to keep us/her busy this summer...movies, Dinosaur Park, the Treehouse Museum (if we can stand it again - maybe I'll take a book), etc. Angela's keeping me in the know and vice versa. If YOU know of any fun free/cheapy activities for Ms. Almost Three, and, if you want to know what I know about, please let me know.

Happy Summer!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Was that the Museum of Fine Arts at the U? If so, thanks for the tip! Have you been to The water stuff at Liberty Park- This man made little pool and stream thing that kids can splash around in. It's free, if you don't mind the drive!