Monday, June 22, 2009

Survival of the Unfittest

Well, I managed to survive Youth Conference (camping on the beach at Lone Rock at Lake Powell) and Girl's Camp (at Heber Valley Camp) and Matt managed to survive both Kayleigh and Chloe while I was gone.



Youth Conference was fun and warm, though very sandy. We rented a boat and the kids got to go tubing. We took a five-mile hike through a canyon near Page, AZ that about killed me. Part of it included rappelling down some steep rock, which we later had to climb back up. It was rough, I was sore, but it was pretty cool. The last day, we went to the Glenn Canyon Dam and had a barbecue at the home of the parents of one of our bishopric. Rather than go back to camp on the beach, we just camped in their backyard. It was nice - soft grass and no sand. And...the best potato salad I've ever had! On the way home, the girls in my car wanted to stop at a store in Kanab that sold Native American Indian stuff. I bought Kayleigh this cute little Indian baby wrapped on a papoose. She said she didn't want it and to "give it to someone else." Oh well...luckily it was cheap. I got home Saturday night and left for Girl's Camp on Monday at 6:15am.

Heber Valley Camp was beautiful. Another leader and I were with the 3rd-year girls, only one of which was from our ward. We rode chartered school buses there. It was fun getting to know some of the other girls in the stake. It rained, it snowed, it hailed, and occasionally, there was sunshine. None of these lasted very long, so we were able to reschedule activities and ended up not missing out on any of them. There were more hikes, paddle boats and canoes, Dutch oven peach cobbler, skits, camp songs and testimony meetings. The missionaries at HVC talk about how you can feel the Spirit there and it's definitely true. I would recommend it to anyone and am glad I had the opportunity to go. I was also able to lose a lot of the Lake Powell sand in the process!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad all went well - it does sound like lots of fun and I'm sure it was a lot of work. But, it will definitely have made choice memories for many of the young women. I'm sure you heard about our little outing - it was fun except poor little kayleighmattisonhales was an accident magnet. I don't think the campground was kind to her. I still see her standing at the door of the motor home looking out and saying, "It's a beautiful day!" She is the best!!