Monday, November 03, 2008

Holidays

Well, one holiday down, how many more to go? It'll all happen so quickly now. I've always majorly balked at the idea of putting one holiday before the other. It drives me nuts that stores do so, but having K around kind of changes things. For instance, last night we were driving home and she kept talking on and on and on and on...if you get my drift...about Frankenstein and the Pumpkin Head Man and the "Switch" that keeps falling over and they need to blow her up again. These are all big blow-up decorations in yards that we pass regularly. I was trying to explain to her that they may not be there now that Halloween is over. I was going to say something to the effect that we may start seeing Thanksgiving decorations, but thought to myself that I'm not sure I've ever seen any Thanksgiving blow-up ones. From there I started talking about Christmas and how we'll see Santas and reindeer (she's calling them rainbow deer) and snowmen. That then led to singing Christmas songs with those words in them. The whole time I was telling myself, "I can't believe I'm doing this!" I don't even have all of our Halloween decorations down yet. Actually, as of my insomniatic (sp? - is that even a word?) night last night, I do except for some pumpkins that are outside. I'm considering leaving them as "fall" decorations, though they do have faces on them.

So what else is going on? My YW blog is up and running. We'll see if it ends up amounting to anything. One of my Laurels conducted yesterday and announced it and she did a horrible job of it. I did give all the girls a handout with the website and the reasoning behind it. No one really said anything, so we'll see what happens. I worked too hard on it for it to be a flop. My main worry through it all was that our bishop, who I think the world of yet is very controlling and doesn't even have the internet, would shoot it down immediately. He didn't even let me explain anything about it and was just like, "Yeah, yeah, just make sure you have it linked to the ward website." I was speachless! (Yeah, like that's ever happened to ME!) Anyway, I'm still excited about it and hope the girls are able to benefit from it.

Aside from that, I've been working on Christmas shopping and crafts. I'm NOT opposed to doing that before Thanksgiving. In fact, in a really good year, I have it done before Halloween. This is not considered a "really good year." I'm pretty stumped on what to get a few people.

Jenny's 19th birthday was Saturday. This was the warmest Halloween I remember since I was pregnant with her. I'll always remember trick-or-treating in short sleeves that year. I can't believe she's as old as she is and that so much time has passed. The witch costume that Kayleigh wore was actually one I made Jenny when she was that age. I knew there was a reason I've been hanging on to it - among others (costumes, not reasons). On the 21st, we're going on a "field trip" to BYU-Idaho for Visitor's Day. Jenny will be able to check out the campus and see for herself where things are. We'll spend half the day with people from the school hearing about all they have to offer. I haven't been up there for a really, really long time. I'm looking forward to it. I loved going to school there and have promoted it big time.

Garrett got some good news - he's finally getting his braces off next Wednesday. He was gone for so long during the summer to Michigan that it kind of put him behind in the process. Originally they were supposed to come off in March and he's been mad after each appointment where it's been postponed.

A few months ago, Brandon invited Matt and me to dinner (this NEVER happens) with him and his girlfriend. This was the first (and subsequently only) time we met her...Brittany. She's a really cute girl - redheaded like him - and very outgoing. He just kept smiling and looking at her all googly-eyed. Ah, love...they kept giving each other these weird looks like they were going to make some announcement of some kind, but it never happened. All the more reason for us to think the whole going-to-dinner thing was weird. Anyway, I guess he introduced her to his dad the other day. Rumor has it that no announcement was made there either, but that they kept calling each other "love" and "babe." Too weird to hear your children calling someone those names. We'll keep you posted on that front...
Sorry, Tara, I still don't have anything to say about you, but thanks for being steady and so cute!
Can you tell that Kayleigh and Tayah are both sleeping? A miracle!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so loving it that you are back on the internet. I love reading your blogs - it's like sitting down to have a nice chat with you. I cannot believe we are in the midst of the holidays. I'm so up in the air with Judy - hard to make any long range plans. We just take it a day at a time - guess I'll have to do the holidays the same way!! Kisses to the "good switch".